All candidates are considered with care. The Admission Committee attempts to make a fair decision in every case, considering not only what our school can offer each candidate, but also what contributions the candidate can make to the St. Andrew’s community. We seek students who will be a good match for our school in order for each child to have a rewarding and successful experience.
Admission decisions are individually determined and are based upon academic records, ability and achievement test scores, interviews and personal recommendations. The number of students and other characteristics of a particular class are also considered in making admission decisions.
St. Andrew's School does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, or national/ethnic origin in administration of its admissions, educational policies, financial aid programs, or athletic and other school-administered programs.
The St. Andrew’s admission process varies slightly with the grade to which the application is made but includes these common elements:
• Application and $100 application fee.
The application includes a brief essay. In the younger grades, the parent often fills out the essay – sometimes writing what the child dictates. By the middle grades, we expect the student to write the essay unassisted. The application can be filled out online or through a paper copy included in the admissions packet.
• Confidential recommendations from current teachers
These forms can be accessed online or via email. They are also part of the admissions packet that is mailed out. Teachers provide us with great insight into the student’s strengths and challenges.
• Transcripts or report cards
We will request the official transcript from your current school. Past performance is a strong indicator of future performance. Grades, tardies, absences and teacher narratives all enable us to see how prospective students have performed in their past school.
• Observation and interviews
We hope that each applicant will be able to visit the school and shadow a current student. Our admissions staff learns a great deal by receiving teacher feedback and by observing prospective students in group situations. The applicant can also help determine if St. Andrew’s will be a good match. During the day visit, the admissions staff will attempt to meet with the student for an interview. Students ages 4 to 6 will work with an administrator from the Early Childhood Center or the Admissions office to complete a developmental readiness test. The testing results are shared with the parents.
• A signed enrollment contract, along with a $500 non-refundable registration fee and 5% of the tuition must be received within two weeks of the contract offer date to secure your child a place in that class. Qualified students who are not initially offered contracts will be placed in a waiting pool. Decisions are made on student qualification and readiness rather than length of time a candidate has been in the waiting pool. Each time a place in the class becomes available, each child from the pool will be reconsidered.